Restore Your Smile With Dental Implants
posted: Apr. 09, 2021.
Dental implants have been around since the Mayan civilization and evolved over time. At The Dental Practice of Lincoln Park in Chicago, IL, Dr. Allen Momongan transforms his patients' smiles with dental implants to restore aesthetics and function.
About dental implants
"About 3 million people in the United States have implants, a number that is growing by 500,000 annually," according to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry.
Dental implants are biocompatible dental prosthetics that replace missing tooth roots after a person's lost a tooth. The titanium post fuses with the natural jaw bone in a process called osseointegration, which reinforces your jaw bone to prevent bone loss.
The procedure is quite simple and straightforward:
- Dr. Momongan removes remnants of the tooth after applying a local anesthetic to eliminate discomfort.
- Next, your Chicago, IL, dentist inserts the titanium post and seals the area for 3-to-6 months so you can heal while the post and fuses to the jawbone.
- Finally, your dentist places a connector over the post and attaches a crown to it to finish the procedure.
Advantages of dental implants
- Dental implants have a 95% success rate
- Implants are stable and don't move when you eat or speak
- You can replace more than one missing tooth simultaneously
- Implants reinforce bone and prevent reduced bone density
- They're used for other procedures like supported dentures and bridges
- They restore functionality and self-esteem
Who's eligible for dental implants?
Patients with a strong immune system and sufficient bone density are good candidates. It's best to also have proper oral hygiene practices, and avoid smoking and drinking alcohol.
Need a consultation?
If you'd like to learn more about dental implants and if you're a good candidate, call The Dental Practice of Lincoln Park in Chicago, IL. Dr. Momongan can answer your questions!. Schedule an appointment by calling (773) 935-9818 today!